Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Porridge Worth Queueing For!


Zhen Zhen Porridge is definitely a must try for porridge/congee lovers out there and even for those who want to try!  Located inside the famous Maxwell Road Hawker Center, this porridge stall is at the top of my "Die Die Must Try" list.  Beware of the long queue specially during lunch hour.

Maxwell Food Court is just steps away from my office and I always wonder what's with the long queue in this Porridge Stall.  I finally tried it one day, queued for 45 minutes but it was worth it!  Since then, I am crazy in love with this dish considering I've never been a fan of porridge ever!

Made from some type of rice with thick soupy texture, porridge is usually served with side dish like salted fish, century eggs, etc.  But in Singapore, they sort of mix these side dishes together with the porridge and most of the times, they drop raw egg into it.  

What makes Zhen Zhen porridge extra special for me is that the texture of the rice is thick but not grainy, its like having the most delicious bowl of oats.  You won't even notice that it is actually rice inside the bowl because the consistency is just perfect!  I sort of extend my head to peep at their kitchen and it seems like they continuously mix the rice in some kind of machine until its mashed into this soupy thick mixture.  The taste is heavenly and fills my hungry stomach even with the standard serving.  

My favorite is the Century Egg with Chicken Porridge!  They also have Chicken Porridge and Fish Porridge which are equally good.  Don't forget to try their raw fish which is sort of like your perfect side dish for this porridge.  It comes with sliced raw fish with ginger, garlic and some greens prepared similar to a sushi salad.  Oh.. its perfect with raw egg dumped into it too!

Porridge Price: S$3.00 to S$4.00
Raw Fish: S#3.00

No comments:

Post a Comment